Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City

Manchester City claimed bragging rights in Manchester courtesy of an excellent performance from man of the match Kevin De Bruyne, allowing Manchester City to maintain their 100% start to the season at the home of their local rivals. Manchester City started well, keeping the ball and moving the defence around. De Bruyne opened the scoring in the 14th minute, although the goal came from an unlikely source as Iheanacho flicked a long ball on and De Bruyne nicked the ball from Blind, took a touch to steady himself and rolled the ball past De Gea, sending him the wrong way. City kicked on from the goal and continued to stretch the United defence, particularly when City attacked down the left. City’s second goal came in the 36th minute when a shot from De Bruyne hit the post and landed at the feet of Iheanacho, who made no mistake from 6 yards. A second goal was no more than was deserved, but six minutes later, the game changed; Bravo came out to collect a free kick, collided with Stones and dropped it and Ibrahimovic made no mistake. It was a technically superb finish from Ibrahimovic, who managed to guide his shot past covering defenders. Although an excellent finish, he should never have been given the chance and Bravo’s coming out so far was surprising because the distance and angle would have required an outstanding header to have put any pressure on the City goal, never mind scoring.

Manchester United came out strongly in the second half and put pressure on the Manchester City players in the way that the City players had been doing to United in the first half. Bravo in particular was put under pressure whenever he had the ball and he was lucky not to concede a penalty and be sent off when he dived in to recover after a heavy touch and caught Rooney, although Rooney got revenge (and a yellow card) later on. Rashford, a half-time substitute, found the net, but it was ruled out as his shot hit a clearly offside Ibrahimovic. Whilst Manchester United increased the pressure, Manchester City broke dangerously at regular intervals, going closest to extending their lead when De Bruyne hit the post. United played a series of long balls forward towards the end of the game, but City were able to hold on and claim the victory.


Your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.